Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ecological Footprint Reduction Goals

How am I doing?
I remember being shocked at how many earths my lifestyle was using, and quite frankly a little disappointed and knew I needed to make a change.

1. My first goal to reduce my footprint was to only be eating out (either sit-down or fast food) once a week. This goal has actually been going really well. The only week I've slipped up is last week due to a busy work and school schedule. I've found that I've been less wasteful with the groceries I'm buying and I've been saving A LOT of money, which have both been really awesome bonuses to reducing my footprint. I'm going to continue with this goal as I feel like it has been challenging for me and I hope to eat out less and less.

2. My second goal was to only eat meat for one meal a day. This goal has also been going really well! I haven't really had any problems with this as I'm not a huge meat eater in the first place. So to improve this goal I'm going to try to have two days a week where I consume no type of meat. I feel like this may be more challenging for me, but I also feel like I'll be able to accomplish it.

3. My third goal was to take shorter showers. I can't say that this goal has been going as well as the other two. In the beginning I was making a conscious effort to decrease my time in the shower, but as time went on I slipped back into my old ways. I think that I can actually achieve the goal of taking under ten minute showers so in order to do this I'm going to buy a shower clock so I know exactly how long I'm taking and can make sure that I'm not going over my allotted time.

So what's next?
4. For goal number four I'm going to try to turn the heat down in my apartment. My roommate and I have a habit of leaving the heat on (relatively high) for long periods of time, even when we're not in the room. So I will ensure that every time I leave a room the heat goes off in that room. I would also like to try and not use the heat as frequently. This will be especially challenging right now since it's so chilly outside, but my hopes is that this will be easier to do as the year goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment