Wednesday, January 15, 2014

TRESemme


TRESemme-used by professionals
Unlike most products I've used I have been using TRESemme shampoo and conditioner for quite awhile. I usually like to change products every so often to experiment and see what I like, but I've found that for me TRESemme leaves my hair exactly how I want it; plus it smells amazing. The product I chose specifically was the Split Remedy shampoo.

Oh, the chemicals
Looking at the ingredients list is an overwhelming task. As I looked at each ingredient I realized they all had one thing in common from my perspective: I had no idea what any of them meant. Hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, glycol distearate, tocopheryl acetate, and the list continues. I couldn't help but think that my lack of understanding of the ingredients label didn't just end with my shampoos. This is a common thing in almost everything I buy. Maybe I've always had a belief that my products wouldn't be hurting me because what kind of company would produce something that could cause health risks. Maybe consumers lack of knowledge has gotten us into this situation in the first place.

After looking up my shampoo on EWG's Cosmetic Database I found that my product scored a 4, which was only a moderate risk on the scale. However, two of the ingredients in my product were ranked as high risk. One of those being DMDM Hydantoin, which scored a 7/10. According to The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics DMDM Hydantoin is already considered a known human carcinogen by many government bodies including the United States National Toxicology Program and the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Although the cancer risks from absorbing are not as well studied, people can be exposed by inhaling the gases from the product.

Ingredients:
Water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl bataine, sodium chloride, dimethiconol, glycerin, fragrance, carbomer, styrene/acrylates copolymer, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, tea-dodecylbenzenesulfonate, citric acid, glycol distearate, EDTA. DMDM hydantion, peg-45m, ppg-9, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, pvm/ma copolymer, polysorbate 20, cocamide mea, polyquaternium-28, mica (ci 77019), titanium dioxide (ci 77891)

Can I live without TRESemme?
The answer is, of course. I realize through this that I should be more aware of the products I am buying and what ingredients they contain. I use so many cosmetic products and I can only imagine what the rest of their ingredients are. When shopping I need to look for safer alternatives that can help to protect myself and the environment against these risky ingredients. Because lets face it-do I really want to be washing my hair with a product that has ingredients linked to cancer?

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa -- Good analysis and yes, a 7 seems pretty high............... you make me think about my cosmetics, oh dear, I can just imagine........................ Good luck finding safer alternatives -- you might try Good Guide! 50/50 points

    ReplyDelete